Berlin Central railway station
An imposing interface for today’s Europe
In 1871, the ‘Lehrter Bahnhof’— featuring a prestigious reception building designed in the style of the Greco-Roman and Renaissance periods—was inaugurated as one of several terminal stations in Berlin. Intricate, expansive and lightflooded, the new Berlin Central railway station of 135 years later is proving a worthy successor. This new ‘interface for today’s merging Europe’ was built according to a design penned by architect Meinhard von Gerkan and his Hamburg office Gerkan, Marg&Partner, gmp. The focus is provided by the steel and glass roof: the high-tech construction was designed and manufactured using the latest CAD/CAM methods. Twenty-three steel trusses describe a 16 metre high and 59 to 68 metre wide arc. Because the station concourse follows a curve, none of the glass elements is identical to any other. The main hall is framed by two 46 metre high buildings which extend yoke-like over the municipal railway, emphasising the station’s status as a central communications intersection. The floors of these buildings measure 70,000 square metres, with 15,000 square metres alone being allocated to retail outlets.
Integral open design
The DORMA automatic horizontal sliding wall system HSW-EM provides a prestigious entrance for the shops, restaurants and cafés in the gallery and retail zone—which includes the famous ‘Douglas’ perfumery. The travel and information centres of the Deutsche Bahn (DB/German Railways) with their curved glass façades likewise reflect this elegant and integrating system philosophy, enhancing the open architecture of the station. The ‘DB Lounge’ is accessed via a DORMA FST-G/CS automatic emergency exit sliding door—a fine-framed fully glazed unit designed to underline the exclusivity of the facility.